Electrical maintenance has to do with the checking and maintaining of electrical fittings, appliances and gadgets in the home, workplace, industries, and other places, where electricity is used. It is an important aspect involved in keeping a place safe, as fire hazards is one of the consequences of ignoring electrical maintenance. And beyond the prevention of hazards, electrical maintenance also has a huge impact in the smooth running of electric gadgets, in order to save resources and prevent damage and malfunction.
Some other important reasons why electrical maintenance should be done, on a routine basis, and not just in emergency situations, is to avoid the high cost of repair, or replacement of gadgets, that could have been avoided if there was proper maintenance done, per time.
It also helps to prevent hazards at home. For example, a home that houses children or old people, and has heating ventilation and air conditioning; such homes’ electrical systems should be properly maintained, to avoid extreme conditions of heat or cold, in situations of malfunction of the electricity system.
The outdoor lighting of a house should also be taken importantly, in order to make the home safe at night. And doing routine checks on your electrical works would not allow any surprises to spring up on you.
How to Do Electrical Maintenance
In carrying out electrical maintenance, some basic procedures are to be carried out, and they are discussed as follows:
- To start with, regular inspection of electrical fittings, electrical wiring, as well as electrical appliances should be carried out, to avoid mishaps.
- Also, inlets, circuit breakers and other electrical distribution systems should be examined, as well as indoor and outdoor lighting systems.
- Major or minor signs of electrical malfunction, like loose connections, getting shocked when using switches, sparks, naked wires, etc., should be taken care of, as soon as possible, to avoid bigger mishaps.
- The proper voltage of light should be ensured, and unused switches, be put off.
- Now, during electric maintenance, it is advised to batch similar equipments together, to be worked upon. Manual operated equipments should be batched together, as well as automatic equipments should be together.
- And nowadays, there are softwares that can be installed to manage electrical maintenance, so as to make the work better, smoother and cost-effective.
What does a Maintenance Electrician Do?
Just like the procedures involved in the process of electrical maintenance has been explained above, the responsibilities of a maintenance electrician shall be discussed, to relate their work with the procedures.
A maintenance electrician is responsible for the general upkeep of a building’s electrical system. They are to ensure that the electrical fittings are in place, and working as they ought to.
Also, they have the responsibility of identifying potential faults and hazards, in the electrical systems, and carry out repairs to avoid future mishaps.
An electrical maintenance also does routine check on electrical appliances, to provide suggestions on whether to repair or replace, as they deem fit.
They are also in charge of installing new electric appliances, as well as, writing electrical maintenance report, to know the way forward in the electrical maintenance process.
Electrical Work and Permit
An electrical permit helps to ensure that the procedures involved in carrying out electrical works and maintenance conforms to safety codes and standards. In carrying out electrical works and maintenance, there are some regulations that need to be followed, as some actions are permitted, while some are not; in order to ensure safety for the electrician and the facility being worked upon. Some of them are as follows:
- Live electrical parts should be de-energised before an electrical work starts. This is very important to avoid mishaps, during the work process
- In situations where the electrical parts cannot be de-energised, other safety precautions should be observed to avoid hazards.
- However, this should only occur in situations, where a Permit has been gotten for the work, as well as, when there is no other way to work on the electrical system, except when it is energised.
- Also, de-energised equipments that have not been tagged out, should be seen as still being energised, and the same procedure as stated above, should be taken.
- Electricians should use protective gears, to safeguard themselves from harm. And exposed electricians should be forewarned about potential hazards, and precautions to take.
- Special circumstances, such as confined spaces, portable ladders, and other unusual circumstances should be taken into consideration, as well as documented for reference purposes.
- It is important to know that there is always a story, behind every sign.
Hence, these permit help to prevent hazardous situations that may have occurred in the past, from re-occurring in the future.
How has Covid-19 Imparted Electrical Work Process
Covid-19 impacted the world, as well as the various sectors in each country, and the electricity sector was not left out. Certain changes occurred during the period of the outbreak, and it impacted the operations of electricians, and their work processes.
One significant change which was as a result of the virus was the social distancing rule, which required people to start working from home, rather than go to the office to work.
And this affected the demand, and distribution pattern of electricity; as more electricity was required at home, than at office spaces, which led to a series of changes.
Also, electrical maintenance that is usually planned ahead for, were also canceled or postponed, as a result of the social distancing rule, necessitating that people stay away from each other, as much as it can be done.
Also, electricians had to reassure homeowners that they were safe, and would pose no danger to them when they come into work. Preventive measures were also taken by Electrical Work and Maintenance companies, to ensure the safety of their employees. In conclusion, electrical maintenance is not a luxury, it is a necessity, in order to be safe and keep your properties safe too. Electricians and house owners should be ready to work together, to ensure the safety of homes, office spaces, and other places, as regards electricity usage. C&M Electrical Contractors is one such name who are always ready to work for your safety. It is NICEIC approved and carries out all kinds of electrical works like minor maintenance work, rewiring, installation, etc. for business, homeowners, schools, colleges, and property management all in midland. Our assurance is to provide you timely and quality service at the best price.
- Electrical Safety Checks – One-Stop Guide For LandlordsApril 4, 2021When it is time to have your electrical installation condition report conducted, give us a call. We at C and […]
- Does domestic electrical service cover electrical rewiring?April 1, 2021The wiring of the home is one aspect you should never take for granted, because if attention and importance aren’t […]
- Domestic Electrical Services at your DoorstepMarch 29, 2021What are domestic electrical services? Domestic electrical services include any electrical work that is carried out in the home. These […]
- Does your kitchen need electrical rewiring? Find out hereMarch 1, 2021Do you have to change a socket or switch in the kitchen every now and then? Or are you intending to […]
- Top 5 Warning Signs to Replace Electrical Wiring in Your HomeFebruary 21, 2021In most cases, signs that you need to replace electrical wiring in your home are very easy to see. For […]