Electrical fittings are very important aspects to put in place when one is deciding on how best to carry out his interior decoration when he just moves into a new apartment or building. It is not only limited to just new occupants of a building but also to people who have decided to make a revamp of their interior decoration. When deciding on how you intend to arrange and fix your electrical lighting fittings in your home, you should bear in mind that you are about to showcase your stylishness and decoration sense. This is why it is important to know the different kinds of lights, where they fit into, and how they should be fixed to lighten up every aspect of your building. In this piece, we have taken our time to put together a simple but extensive guide on how best to make sure that your electrical lighting fittings at home are done in a proper way to lighten up your entire house.
Types of electrical light fittings for the home
When deciding on what type lighting or lighting fittings to use in your home, you should pay attention to the direction in which the door opens, where the windows, stairs, and fireplace are positioned. When these and other factors are put into consideration, you can easily decide if you just need a little more lighting or you have to install lighting that makes the room bright. Below are the different kinds of electrical fitting available to anyone who is trying to decide on how best to lighten his/her house.
• Fixed electrical light fittings
It Can also be called Ambient, this light makes the room they are fixed feel as close to daylight as possible. The ambient light fixture when installed in a room lightens upmost part of the room to allow easy movement in and around the room. Examples of this kind of light fixture include;
– Ceiling Dome/pendant lamp: like the name implies, this type of fixed lighting fittings hangs from the ceiling and dangles like a pendant does on a necklace. It is mostly placed in the middle of the room to give a clear focal point in the room examples include the chandeliers, shades, etc.
– Outdoor lighting: this covers the aspect of security or having a cool and nice time in the backyard. They are usually of different brightness or dimness depending on what part you are placing them. Lights like the floodlights and halogen are usually used for the security light, while dimmer and cooler lights are fixed if they are to be fixed in the backyard for a cozy scenario.
–Recessed light: unlike the pendant lamp, the recessed lights are fixed into the ceiling or other surface. When well arranged, they light up a room in a decorative way and light up the room with no central focal point. When choosing a recessed light, it is important to note that you are going to have to install more than one in a room to clearly light up the room.
–Surface-mounted light: the surface mounted light is a combination of both the recessed and ceiling dome light. They are less conspicuous than the pendant lamp but more visible than the recessed light which makes it a hybrid kind of lamp.
• Free-standing light fittings
the free-standing lights act like complementary lights that help to light up the aspect of the house where the fixed lighting fixture fails to light up clearly. They provide a general lighting to the parts of the house that lights barely illuminate. Types of this kind of electrical fittings include the following.
–Floor lamps and Table lamps: the floor and table lamps are essentially back-up lights to the main light. They are used to lighten up the dark corners of the house while also acting as a decorative measure to brighten up and style your home.
-Nightlight: this is usually a small light fixture that is placed in areas that might become are at a specific period. They are usually placed in spots to create comfort or convenience and also lighten up a small area of the room. The nightlight is used in places like the kids bedroom and to mark an emergency exit.
• Special purpose lighting fixture
The special purpose lighting fixture is also known as the task light, and as it implies, they are placed to assist one in completing or carrying out a specific function in the home. Some of the task light can also be categorised under the free-standing light fittings. Other kinds of task lights include the flood light, background light, Christmas light, and Black light
Specific rooms and their advised electrical lighting fittings
– Kitchen: the lighting of the kitchen is very complex but with the aid of a recessed/surface mounted lights coupled with special purposed lights would do the magic of lighting up your kitchen.
– Entryway: you can never go wrong using a pendant light/chandelier; you can complement that light with table or floor lamps.
– Living room: with the need for the living room to be brightly lit up, the living room hence, a combination of multiple recessed lights, a center placed pendant lights and table/floor lights depending on the style and arrangement you have chosen.
– Bedroom: the bedroom needs a less harsh lighting up therefore, with the aid of an overhead light source like the surface mounted light coupled with a table lamp or a nightlight you can easily setup a cool, stylish, and cozy bedroom.
–Bathroom: the bathroom needs a bright clear light and to do so, you need lights like a dome or recessed light, add a wall mounted light close to the mirror to help with looking at one’s reflection in the mirror.
– Dining: one of the simplest rooms in the home to light up is the dinning. The main light that lights up the room should come from a center ceiling dome like the chandelier. Then extra free-standing lights can be used to light up dark areas not lit up by the ceiling dome placed above the dining table.
In conclusion, with the right amount of lighting in the home, the beauty and stylishness of the home can be enhanced. Knowing and having an idea of the style and outlay you intend to use when setting up or revamping your home would help in deciding which electrical lighting fixture you would want to use. C&M electrical contractors can help you lighten up your home the way you like it. We strive to give you quality work. Our team of professional is highly experienced and all the electricians are NICEIC approved. If you are looking to get your work done from the most reliable electrical contractors, then we are the ones. Experience a premium electrical service by Leicester based electrical contractors.
- How to Save Electric Bills for your HomeElectricity usage is one of the most important things in every home; but it doesn’t come without a cost, as […]
- Electrical Safety Checks – One-Stop Guide For LandlordsWhen it is time to have your electrical installation condition report conducted, give us a call. We at C and […]
- Does domestic electrical service cover electrical rewiring?The wiring of the home is one aspect you should never take for granted, because if attention and importance aren’t […]
- Domestic Electrical Services at your DoorstepWhat are domestic electrical services? Domestic electrical services include any electrical work that is carried out in the home. These […]
- Does your kitchen need electrical rewiring? Find out hereDo you have to change a socket or switch in the kitchen every now and then? Or are you intending to […]