The wiring of the home is one aspect you should never take for granted, because if attention and importance aren’t placed on it, the repercussion of a bad incident might not be palatable. This is why it’s advisable to always ensure that the wiring on your property conforms to the electrical regulations stated in the BS 7671 electrical wiring regulations guide. To do so, there’s the need to conduct a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) or Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), which would help point out arrears you need to upgrade. However, there’s been confusion as to whether the domestic electrical services offered by electrical companies cover the rewiring of the home. It is because of this we have decided to give you a little education on how electrical work is done and put an average price on different services offered by these electrical companies.
Can a domestic installer do a rewire job?
To answer these, you have to first understand that how to do a domestic electrical wiring might differ from company to company because of their package. With this said, a domestic installer can easily do a rewire if he has the necessary electrical rewire certification to do so and if the amount you have paid has included the fee for a rewiring process. The package offered for a domestic wiring job by the different companies runs from installing an extra socket or fixing a lamp holder to a complete rewiring of your property. The package you select would determine the kind of maintenance person that would be sent to your house to carry out the electrical wiring process.
How much would it cost to rewire an electrical panel?
Before giving you an average estimate of how much rewiring and the electrical panel is, we want to give you a little detail of how to do domestic wiring in the house, so you can easily inspect the progress of the wiring and rewiring process as it is being carried out. Since modern-day households are filled with electrical appliances, there is the need to either upgrade or perform a total rewiring of the home/property you have either recently acquired or have stayed in for quite some time. First thing first is to know that the electric panel or consumer unit handles regulating and distributing the electricity around the house. If there is a need for an upgrade or rewiring in the home, the electric panel is the main point of focus for any maintenance person/electrician as the connection of the different sockets and appliances is done from this point. To answer the question above, electrical companies would charge you an average price of £300-£450, depending on the electrical company you intend to employ to carry out the wiring, rewiring, or replacement of consumer units in your home.
What is the cost of an Electrical Installation Condition Report?
Before deciding on whether to go for just a simple domestic wiring service or call for a total rewiring of your home, it is important to conduct an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), which was formerly known as the Periodic Inspection Report (PIR). When this service is conducted, it points out areas that need to be upgraded to conform to the current electrical code in the UK. A homeowner is expected to carry out this procedure every 10 years, while landlords and people who live in a rental home are expected to carry out this procedure every 5 years. An EICR for a customer unit is charged at an average of £40, while an average of £15 would be charged for each circuit tested. Below is an average estimate of how much an electrical company would charge when employed to carry out an EICR for your home.
· A home with less than three bedrooms should cost an average of £120-£150, depending on the neighbourhood and size of the apartment
· A home with less than five bedrooms but more than two bedrooms would cost an average amount of £180-£250
· An EICR would cost you nothing less than £300 if you own a home that has five or more bedrooms
After the EICR has been carried out, the professional that carried out this procedure is expected to give you a report that highlights the defects in your home’s wiring, which might include faulty connections, shortage of short-circuit protection, and out-dated wiring, to mention a few. It is after this report has been given you can decide if you need to rewire your home or just call for simple domestic wiring for your home.
Other services that might be included in a domestic electrical service package include;
· Fuse board upgrades and extra sockets
· Heating controls and external power
· Cooker and shower circuits among others
Which electrical company should I employ?
You may also search the web with the ‘electrical rewire near me’ keyword. This would bring out the companies that offer rewiring services around your locality and then you can proceed to check the customer reviews that have been given by the previous customers of various companies that have patronised them before. Another way is to ask for recommendations from your neighbours and friends who have recently carried out electrical changes in their home.
There are several companies that offer domestic electrical services and rewiring in the United Kingdom and there are several ways by which you can determine which of them is suitable for your home. One such company is C&M Electricals. We provide you domestic electrical services including house rewiring service in and across Leicestershire for estate agents and property owners too. Highly skilled team of electricians approved by NICEIC will be carrying out all the electrical work.
Prices placed by electrical companies are based on the following factors:
- the size of the house
- the specifications of fittings and fittings you want in your home
- if the house would be occupied during the electrical work
- where you live in the UK
- the number of sockets and extra you expect to have
In conclusion, you should know that the price of rewiring your home is between £2,000-£5,000, depending on the kind of home you have and the conditions under which the electrician would be working. It is also important to note that when rewiring or upgrading the wiring of your home, there might be, need to remove your furniture and there would be cuts and openings on the wall surface of the home to lay new wires and sockets.
- How Much Does Commercial Electrical Work Cost in the UK?Commercial electrical work tends to be notoriously hard to get good information about, and there seem to be many misinformed […]
- How to Install Outdoor Electrical LightingInstalling outdoor electrical lighting in your home serves a lot of purposes as it is beneficial in many ways. Outdoor […]
- Domestic Electrical Fault Finding: Tips and TricksDOMESTIC ELECTRICAL FAULT FINDING Electrical faults at home can expose you and your family to great danger. And in some […]
- CCTV Cameras and Access Control GuideWhat is a CCTV? CCTV, fully known as Closed Circuit Television, is a security camera used in the interior and […]
- Electric Work Done During Covid-19Electrical maintenance has to do with the checking and maintaining of electrical fittings, appliances and gadgets in the home, workplace, […]